I found this recipe on Pinterest while looking for an easy bar recipe to take to a holiday gathering. They were super simple to make, and are probably the best bars I have tried.
They satisfy the desire for something sweet, while adding that sharp tang from the cranberry which cuts through the sweetness.
That, combines with the ease of making them, what could be better? Not very much in my opinion!
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 2 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbls lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 16 oz jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 Tbls cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray (I used the spray for baking, with the flour in it)
- Mix cake mix and oatmeal together in a medium sized bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix until a crumb forms.
- Press two-thirds of the cake mix mixture into the bottom of a prepared pan, reserving the remaining to become the upper crust. Set the pan aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whip the room temperature cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix to combine. Pour over the top of the prepared crust.
- Combine the cranberry sauce and corn starch, then spread over the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the reserved cake mixture over the top of the cranberry sauce, and press down lightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely, let firm up in refrigerator until set, and cut into 24 pieces.
There you have it. A very yummy, tart, and sweet bar to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Tagged: bar cookies